Monday, September 26, 2011

Green Tomatoes & Basil Dressing


not the prettiest picture - but they're tasty!
I <3 basil. (BTW, the <3 is a heart. I just figured that out a few months ago. Yeah, I’m slow.)

Anything with fresh basil just tastes like summer to me, and this recipe is no exception. Green tomatoes taste vaguely like a somewhat tart cucumber with a hint of tomato flavor. The closer they get to ripening, the stronger the tomato flavor. We all know that tomatoes and basil are a winning combo, and trust me it still applies when the tomatoes are green.

What with fall coming on strong, this was a nice treat - and used up some of the green tomatoes still on the vine and some of the basil that will be frost-nipped all too soon!

Green Tomatoes & Basil Dressing

Green tomatoes, sliced
1 cup   Fresh basil leaves
¼ cup  Cider vinegar
¼ cup  Red wine vinegar (or cider vinegar)
¼ cup  Olive oil (optional)

In a blender or food processer, combine 1 cup packed basil leaves, ¼ cup cider vinegar, ¼ cup red wine vinegar and ½ cup olive oil. Blend until the basil leaves are finely chopped. Layer sliced tomatoes in a bowl. Pour basil dressing over tomato slices and toss to coat.

This is best after it has marinated in the fridge for a couple of hours.

1 comment:

~ Regan said...

Yum! Sounds great! I have a hard time finding green tomatoes (didn't grown any this year) but I like them too. My Gram always made sandwiches with them, they were so tasty!

Did you know you can do a ♥ by pressing alt and 3 (from the number pad)?