Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Quest for Soup Take #3 – Tomato & Rice

I'm wearing corduroy pants and I have laryngitis. You know it's sad when your pants are louder than you are. But it's all OK in blogland, where my voice is working just fine!

In honor of my sinus infection and laryngitis I decided to make tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches, that always makes me feel better. Sourdough bread with mozzarella cheese dipped in chunky tomato soup with brown rice… mmmm. Even with a burned-on-one-side grilled cheese sandwich it was tasty (I got distracted at a critical moment).

My husband refused to take a bite, saying that he had tried a tomato soup I made a few years ago and he still does not like tomato soup. <sigh> So, I don’t know if this would have passed the taste test.

I made this with tomatoes that I had frozen from the summer – but I wrote out the instructions so that you could use canned as well. I also used up some more of my homemade broth.

Tomato & Rice Soup

Ingredients:
3 cans (5 cups) diced or crushed tomatoes
3 cups chicken or turkey or vegetable broth
3 cups water
1 cup brown rice
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp dried minced garlic or 1-2 cloves fresh minced garlic
1 Tbsp dried minced onion or 2 Tbsp fresh minced onion

Combine all ingredients in a crock pot and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 hours. Or combine in a large pot and cook on the stove over medium heat 45 minutes or until all of the flavors are combined and the rice has cooked through. I always wait for my rice to open up.

If this is a bit too much acid for you, try adding ½ to 1 cup of milk to the pot 10 minutes before serving.

No comments: