Monday, March 7, 2011

Max’s Room

Max’s room started out looking something like this:


Scary, right? That’s a lot of old faux wood paneling. (our whole house is covered in it <shudder>) Definitely not the look I’m going for in his room. What I am going for? Light, sunny, and something he can grow with. Lots of paint to the rescue!

I primed, then put a coat of some leftover paint in a pale rose beige (Glazed Pear by Olympic, used in the master bedroom), then started with the main color – Lotus Blossom also by Olympic.


I love the way the color turned out! It’s just a touch of yellow, like fresh butter. It reflects light fantastically, making the room bright without an onslaught of color.


As you can see, some of the trim was taken down. I’d like to say it was for ease of painting, but no. It was because a previous owner made built in shelves for his wife’s Beanie Babies. They're not tall enough to hold even a paperback book, and they're kinda ugly, so away they went. (There are Beanie Baby shelves all over the house, I’m slowly getting rid of them room by room.)


Instead of leaving the crown molding intact, the previous owner cut into it to fit his ¾ inch shelf edges. So the room had perfect molding, minus ¾ inch wide bits. <sigh> I borrowed a couple of lengths of molding from the bathroom (which will get all new molding), and my father put it all back together.


There, walls done! Time to move on to the furniture. My mother in law gave us a new crib of my choosing for a baby shower present (thanks, RB!). I chose a sleigh style convertible crib – it goes from crib to toddler bed to full size headboard and footboard.


I’m still in the process of decorating the room, but the basics are there. (I’ve since added a crib bumper and gotten some accessories) I plan on adding some fun colors with curtains, floor pillows, artwork, etc. I also have a shelving project in the works…


What do you think?

1 comment:

~ Regan said...

Oooh! It looks so good! You might want to think you're lucky to have that paneling, I know a lot of bloggy cottagers that pay good moneyto have look done to their rooms. Really. :) also, EVERYTHING looks better with a coat of paint on it.
I love the color you chose!