Thursday, March 24, 2011

Fungus, Eww

Not that kind of fungus
Did you know that the same fungal infection is called different things depending on who gets it and where it’s located? Because I have diaper rash on my lower back, but since it’s on my back and I’m a grownup it’s called ringworm. I had no idea.

According to my doctor it goes something like this:

  • If it’s on a baby in the diaper zone, it’s diaper rash 
  • If it’s on adult male bits, it’s jock itch 
  • If it’s on adult lady bits, it’s a yeast infection 
  • If it’s on the feet, it’s athlete’s foot 
  • If it’s in the mouth, it’s thrush (grownups and kids) 
  • If it’s elsewhere on the body, it’s ringworm (thank goodness it’s not actually worm related)

It can be caused by a few different types of fungus, which is why there are different creams with different active ingredients. Lately I’ve been using vag cream on my back as well as on Max’s peaches. I compared prices and it was the least expensive per ounce (versus medicated diaper creams or foot creams).

Of course talk to your doctor before trying any new treatments. It’s working really well on Max. It’s only working so/so for me since I have trouble getting the bandaid to stay on my back so the cream doesn’t wipe off on my waistband.

So if you’re like me and have a phobia about parasitic worms – don’t worry. Ringworm is not caused by worms. And it sounds a lot better if you call it diaper rash.

Image: Idea go /

No comments: