Friday, January 7, 2011

An Unexpected Day

So today was an unexpected day. My husband woke up to a stitch in his side that had turned into a full-blown owie. Just putting on his socks was an exercise in panting and swearing (and pain, I'm sure). My car was in the shop, so since he works a mile away I was going to use his car and he was going to walk to work. He got halfway down the hill and turned around because his side - or rather his lower rib area - was hurting too much. So I called in to work so that I could take him in to the doctors.

We took Max to daycare, and then we went back home to wait for the appointment. And I got so much stuff done. I rearranged the back room which will soon be the play room - cleared the floor for shampooing this weekend, hung up three paintings, and dedicated one bookcase to child and young adult books in the play area (which meant first emptying that bookcase and finding room on the other grownup bookcases). I finished sewing the rest of the pocket diapers and inserts. I did two loads of laundry. I humored my husband and watched silly video clips on the internet. I replaced the zipper in his jacket. I loaded up all of our VHS's that we didn't want anymore and gave them to someone off FreeCycle. I had an early dinner with my husband, just the two of us. And then we picked up Max and came home, picking up my car on the way. Phew!

I didn't especially want to stay home today, I'd rather save my vacation days for, oh, I don't know, a vacation. But, I sure did get a lot done! And my hubby was so happy and thankful that I stayed home so I could take care of him. Maybe I'll get flowers or something.

It was a good end to the work week, and hopefully a good start to a productive weekend. I have a lot more projects on the list that can now see the light of day!

And, hubby will be fine, he pulled an upper abdominal muscle. Painful but not too serious, it mostly sucks because it lasts for 2-3 weeks and you have to use your abdominal muscles for everything. There's not much he can do, just painkillers and heat, and taking it easy at the gym.

No comments: