Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Ultimate Toddler Present


What do you get for a toddler? A lot of wrapping paper, that’s what. I wasn’t kidding when I told people to get him a big, empty box with five layers of wrapping paper on it. No batteries required.

Max’s favorite part of Christmas, by far, was the wrapping paper. Or, rather, ripping it off the presents. At my parent’s he was in heaven since mom wrapped each stocking stuffer for all of us, and of course he had to help open all the presents. My grandfather and my aunt won the unofficial “Max’s favorite gifts,” contest with a helicopter that makes noise and has blinky lights and a pirate ship that makes noise and has toddler sized legos. So far the present he has no interest in is the set of blocks that I got him, but I have a feeling that he’s still a little too young to appreciate them for anything other than projectile target practice. Overall, I have to admire the restraint that the grandparents showed with not completely overwhelming him with stuff. Having a nice time and the visiting was worth so much more than more toys.

One of the first things that I did when we got back with his booty was to clear out his toy box of 75% of the toys, only leaving the favorites. If he has too many choices he doesn’t know what to do with himself. One of those can’t see the forest for the trees type of things. (Does that analogy work? Sure, let’s go with it.)

No comments: