Monday, January 23, 2012

Birthday Pound Cake

Every year I make dad a birthday cake, and every year I try to outdo myself a little bit. He loves raspberry and almond flavors (as do I) so I tend to go in that direction. This year I made him the Amaretto-Almond Pound Cake from Southern Living magazine.

Oh. My. Goodness. It was soooooo good. Seriously. You need to try this cake. I'm drooling again, aren't I? You'll want to make sure to really generously grease the pan tho, because the top got stuck and I had to perform a little minor cake reconstructive surgery. But that's what a sprinkling of powdered sugar is for.

Since the recipe calls for making an amaretto glaze that you soak into the cake (I know, right??) and I didn't want Max to be ingesting that much alcohol, I made him a mini-cake. I just trimmed off the top, er, the bottom?, of the cake before I added the glaze and smooshed it into a heart shaped cookie cutter. Insta-cake. He loved it. Though he probably was wishing for frosting.

No comments: