Monday, July 23, 2012

Carrot Top Pesto

Did you know you can use carrot tops to make pesto? Woah, mama, is it good! It tastes a lot like a normal, parsley based pesto, but with flair. I compared a few pesto recipes, searched the fridge, and my pesto went a little like this:

Carrot Top Pesto

4 cups chopped carrot tops (from approx one bunch of carrots)
1 cup shredded parmesan
1/2 cup chopped toasted almonds
1 cup loosely packed basil
4 garlic scapes (or 2 tsp minced garlic)
3-4 Tbsp minced garlic from the jar (I like a garlicy pesto)
1 cup olive oil or enough to make a thick pesto
1 tsp salt or to taste

Blend it all in food processor (or in batches in your Magic Bullet like me), refrigerate & enjoy!

What a great way to make something special out of compost.

<NOM>

1 comment:

WolfSong said...

Cool! Usually I dry the carrot tops to add to soups, or, if I'm real lazy, I compost them. I never thought of pesto though...radish tops make an awesome pesto too!