Monday, July 30, 2012

Canning Jar to Travel Cup

Max demonstrating Step 5
I saw this really sweet product that turns your canning jar into a travel cup. Essentially, it's a molded plastic lid with a sippy hole that fits inside the ring and screws on. I was going to buy a ton of these, then I realized:

Totally hackable.

Materials:
Canning jar
Canning jar ring
Canning jar lid
Flat plastic lid (from yogurt/take out/etc)
Pen/marker
Scissors
Small knife (optional)

Step 1: Take a canning jar lid and trace it on to the plastic lid.

Step 2: Cut it out.

Step 3: Cut an X in the plastic lid to insert a straw. (stabbing with a knife works well) OR Cut a square/rectangle close to the edge to use it as a sippy (it helps to cut a small x opposite the square for air release).

Step 4: Assemble the jar using your plastic lid instead of the metal lid. (duh) Insert straw & tasty beverage.

Step 5: Enjoy!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this hack!! Thanks for sharing. *going to dig out old cool whip container*

~ Regan said...

Love this idea.. I saw those lids too and have been tempted to buy some. Is that a reusable straw?

Anonymous said...

I'm thinking a whole punch would make an even better-fitting hole.

Anonymous said...

Oops! I meant a hole-punch, not a whole punch.

Jessie said...

My dad said the same thing about the hole punch when I showed him the jar this weekend - great minds think alike!

And, yes, it's a reusable, metal straw with a little spoon on the end (keeps the straw from being pulled out).