Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Holy Macaroni, It's Been A Rollercoaster

teal hair!
Um, guys? I'm back.

WHAT???

I KNOW.

So, life has... calmed down? Not really? It's certainly changed! I've still been crafting and gardening and stuff, don't you worry. I'm a baker now! Like, as my job! How freaking cool is that? I'm also about to move back in with my parents (!!!) and I will keep you posted as we turn their 4 bedroom single family house into a 5 bedroom two-apartment house.

OH - and I dyed my hair! CHECK IT OUT

How about that for a welcome back DIY?

Always follow the directions when using hair products!

Step 1: Condition the heck out of your hair for a few weeks
Step 2: Bleach your hair - I used a 40 developer (ask an associate at a beauty supply store to help you choose the best one for your hair)
Step 3: Use toner to take down the orangey-ness
Step 4: Apply color! I used One n' Only Argon Oil Perfect Intensity color in Electric Teal, Pastel Aqua, and Emerald. I totally stole one of Max's paint brushes to apply the color. I brushed Electric Teal on the roots, Pastel Aqua on the remainder of the shaft, and Emerald for highlights/streaks. It all blended together so it looked... natural? How about it gave my hair better depth. ;)
Step 5: Maintenance, maintenance, maintenance. Every time you wash your hair, the color will fade. I try not to wash my hair more than once every three days, and I can usually make it a week before washing (my scalp is adjusting and not producing as much oil). Dry shampoo is your friend! When I do wash my hair, I use cool water, and instead of shampoo I use a toning conditioner (it's dark blue!) and mix in just a little shampoo. The mixture cleans, but doesn't really lather, and doesn't strip my hair of color. I know, I know - you're thinking you HAVE to wash your hair! Give it a shot, you might be surprised how much cleaner it feels with a good rinsing.

The best part about this? My hair looks amazing. Obv. The second best part? It didn't break the bank! The bleach, toner, and conditioner came to less than $20, and I got the hair color buy 2 get 1 free - so for less than $35 and some time and patience, I saved myself well over $100 if I had gone to the salon.

No comments: