Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Corn & Clam Chowder-Soup

I know what you're thinking: it must be a typo. Nope. I really mean chowder-soup. I was in the mood for chowder, clam or corn, either would do. But I had an inherent problem - no potatoes, and I really didn't want to go to the store. So I pulled out my trusty cookbook, 365 Great Soups & Stews, for a little inspiration. I decided to use the Chinese Crab and Corn soup as a base, kinda. It has corn and shellfish, I wanted corn and shellfish, and the soy sauce and ginger sounded intriguing. Otherwise the two recipes bear little resemblance.

The result is creamy without being thick and chunky, just like a cross between a chowder and a soup. And it's delish. Ignore the odd color, that's just the soy sauce.

Corn & Clam Chowder-Soup

4 cups chicken broth
1 Tbsp dried chives
1/4 tsp dried grated ginger
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1 Tbsp soy sauce (or 4 packets)
12oz clams in juice (frozen or canned)
16oz frozen corn (approx 2 cups)
1 package instant mashed potatoes, plain or butter flavor
1 cup milk

Blend half of the corn - it helps to thaw it a bit first. Put all of the ingredients except for the instant potatoes and milk in a large pot. Bring to a simmer. Stir in the milk and instant potatoes. It's important to keep stirring while adding the instant potatoes so they don't clump. Return to a simmer for a few minutes so the flavors can blend. That's it, enjoy!

No comments: