Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Revenge of the Counter: Part 2

Yesterday I covered the prelims to the counter change.

Today, you get to see the results!

Firstly: Clearing the counter of all my junk stuff essential cooking items.

Note the test tile - I still couldn't peel it up!
Next: Peeling up the old counter top. It's nice that it was relatively easy to get up, but a little scary at the same time...

my little helper
Remove all loose paint, goo, splinters, dust, grime (not that there would ever be grime in my kitchen) and clean the surfaces. Then prime and paint the edging. I chose to match the cabinet paint rather than try and match the tiles.

freshly painted edges
Lay the tile, cutting with a utility knife to fit (try not to slice open your finger, ahem). I decided to use quarter round painted white around the back under the back splash.

painting the quarter round
This is all very hard work. My little helper worked so hard that he fell asleep during his lunch break.


Finally - the painted parts are painted, the tile is installed, the quarter round is in, the cracks are caulked, edges are sealed with silicone...

look at that!
And the counter is done! DONE! I still have to do the back splash (and the counter by the sink...) but this part of the counter is DONE.


Isn't it pretty? <sigh> I'm so smitten!

1 comment:

WolfSong said...

Good job! Your kitchen looks so light and airy now. You should be very proud of yourself!