Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Cooking a Turkey in the Crock Pot

Yes, you read that right. I cooked a turkey in the crock pot. A fourteen pound turkey. Don’t try this at home, folks. You’ll see why.


I thawed it and removed the giblets, etc. Then I put it in the crock pot.

It didn’t quite fit. (even with a lot of shoving)


So I covered the top with aluminum foil and stuck the lid on top for good measure (and to help retain the heat)


I set it on low to cook for 10 hours. I didn’t want to take the chance that it might come out raw, especially since it had to reduce a bit before the lid would rest properly.

I left it to cook overnight. When I came down the next morning, it was done.

And my countertop was covered with turkey fat.


While it was cooking and reducing, the turkey fat bubbled over and got all over the counter.

And the cupboard.


And the floor.

I mopped it up as best as I could without being late.


The turkey turned out thoroughly cooked, thank goodness. I was curious if it would or if I’d have to put it in for another cooking session.

I ended up with a lot of meat.

The two breasts went into the freezer for later, and the dark meat and bits and pieces went into the fridge for eating through the week.


The bones and misc bits that were too small to pull for the tupperware -


- went into a freezer bag for broth making later.


Next time I’ll make sure to only do this with a turkey that fits inside the crock pot. I’m thinking ten pounds, maximum. I hope I can find one that small, because it would be so nice to cook a turkey while I’m at work. Hubby loved that the whole house smelled like turkey. If you try it, make sure it fits in your crock pot.

1 comment:

~ Regan said...

You are too funny! My hubby absolutely refuses to eat any meat that has been cooked in a slow cooker. :( it would be nice to try this!

Btw, when purchasing a turkey, you can ask the butcher to cut it in half for you (even frozen) maybe it could fit better in your crockpot?