Wednesday, November 28, 2012

(almost) Frugal Luxuries - the Serger

image source
Merry Christmas to me: I got a serger! Woo!

I've been wanting one for a while, and when the Singer Pro Finish went on a steep discount I grabbed one for $190.

Yeah, it sounds expensive - but I think I can make it work.

As I'm sure you've noticed, I've been making a lot of Max's clothes. While my new sewing machine is awesome - sewing on knits is wearing it out faster than I would like. So I decided to get a machine made to sew on knits.

It was pretty intimidating to set up, but thank goodness it came with an instructional DVD. Max helped me watch it (I thought he'd find it dry, but he was fascinated and asked me to play it again).

And, it's awesome. The tractor jammies was the first project, and with a little trial and error they were a breeze to make.

Now for the frugal part - I'm going to try and keep track of how much I'm saving by making versus buying clothes from this point forward, starting with the tractor jammies. I bought the shirt new for $8, and comparable jammies sell for $12, so that's a $4 savings.

Another $186 and I'll have balanced out the purchase of the serger.

Better than the monetary savings? The joy found in a custom set of tractor jammies.


1 comment:

WolfSong said...

Congratulations!!!

Sergers are a wonderful tool for anyone who a lot of sewing. I'm very happy for you, and the tractor jammies are AWESOME!